Myself and my husband and daughter are taking part in a challenge based in Framlingham, Suffolk, to only eat local food during September 2011. The group promoting the challenge Greener Fram www.greenerfram.co.uk are a local Transition Town group and are looking at ways to reduce our dependence on oil. The rules of the challenge are simple. You must only eat food grown within a 30 mile radius of your home for the 30 days of September. The exceptions to this are 3 items chosen before the challenge starts, one of mine being tea, essential!

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Is it going to be expensive?

The veg rack from Framlingham market, my garden and the side of the road - looks great, healthy and cheaper than chips
I am finding that the main question I am being asked is "is it expensive?". Well the truth is I dont know yet! I am writing down costs and also where I get things from to keep track of travelling and costs. The problem will be that I dont know how much we spend normally. Anyway I have a feeling that its not going to cost more, meat is the same (I never get cheap meat from the supermarket anyway), dairy IS expensive compared to normal (yogurt and cheese) but maybe we should practice eating less to save the wallets and the waists anyway! But vegetables are cheap, and that is what we are mainly eating. Flour works out cheaper than loaves of bread as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment