Myself and my husband and daughter are taking part in a challenge based in Framlingham, Suffolk, to only eat local food during September 2011. The group promoting the challenge Greener Fram www.greenerfram.co.uk are a local Transition Town group and are looking at ways to reduce our dependence on oil. The rules of the challenge are simple. You must only eat food grown within a 30 mile radius of your home for the 30 days of September. The exceptions to this are 3 items chosen before the challenge starts, one of mine being tea, essential!

Thursday 29 September 2011

Nearly the end...

As time has gone on the challenge has become easier, I have just got into the swing of things and nearly forgotten I am doing it. I have to admit that it has also led to me eating some things I shouldn't when I'm out and about - somehow once you master something its easier to let it slip a bit. Anyway at home I have been strictly on the challenge. I have got used to where to shop and what to buy and the extra time cooking and what to snack on. Surprisingly its hasn't bothered me one bit that I don't have any convenience foods. I have also got faster at cooking, feeling confident to make a quick loaf of soda bread to go with dinner or even an apple and blackberry pie one morning before work.

I have learnt so much this month and felt a connection with not only where I am and the food the land can produce, but also the people that used to live here and how they used to survive on only local food.
There are many things I will carry on doing, infact I am planning to just continue but less strictly.
I will look at some things and re-assess them, for example should I use cane sugar or sugar beet sugar? Should I buy Marybelle milk in a big carton so the end of the milk always goes off - probably not!
Can I afford local cheeses forever? Well, probably but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on cheese - but on the other hand we have used less and valued it more.
There are a lot of things to think about which is really why this challenge has been so interesting and worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment